Saturday, February 5, 2011

Influences

Why are people so easily influenced? Why is it that the tiniest little thing in our day can change our entire mood? I always feel like my mood can change just by the song I'm listening to. It's amazing to me, that I can feel completely inspired to go and do something amazing just by listening to a three minute song, and then three minutes later be a little depressed because of the song that just finished. It doesn't seem to take much to change my the way I feel.
And then the exact opposite happens. It seems like it takes years for you to be able to see a persons influence on you. Why is that? Is this just me, and am I just crazy?
But I've realized over the past couple of weeks certain persons who have influenced me over the past several years.
Being in school this year, I am constantly surrounded with foul language, guys talking about all the girls they've slept with, people talking about how high or drunk they were the night before. I was warned that it would be this bad, but I didn't really believe that it would be this bad.
Thankfully I'm not involved with these conversations, when I hear one started, I turn and walk away. I can't walk away from the language, but thankfully I can walk away from the other problems.
I'm not trying to sound like I'm better than the rest of the world, because I know that without certain people over the past few years, I wouldn't be walking away. Without people that held me to higher standards everyday of my life before I was surrounded by these things, without people to make me do the right thing before it was necessary. I would be just as involved in these conversations and maybe even actions.
I was sheltered from the world in so many ways, and I'm very thankful for it, because at a younger age I wouldn't have been able to handle it. I wasn't ready for it.
I'm very thankful that God has provided people to help me become ready.
Without them I'm not sure where I would be now, or how I would be handling the situations I've been put in.
Through them I've been blessed by God.
I can't imagine what my life would be like without them in it, and I'm glad I don't have too.

5 comments:

  1. Well said, Kev. I'm extremely proud of you and who you've become! It also takes a willingness to listen and follow the influences that are trying to shape your life and you have done that well. Mike and I are proud of who you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. YOU are my favorite son ever. I am so THANKFUL for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kevin,I have two daughters. Do you want to marry one of them? Haha! Really, you are an impressive young man. Your insight is right on and your willingness to humble yourself and listen to those who have been place in your life is admirable. Keep fighting the good fight.
    ~Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Incredible thoughts from a fine young man! You've been blessed by God through many people and have, in turn, blessed those who read your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good blog. I'd say you're sufficiently ready for college :-D

    I'm glad you learned from somebody because the only thing you learned from me is how to annoy your sibling. Apparently I taught you well...

    ReplyDelete